Fortitude Valley State Secondary College students will engage with the Australian Curriculum. Rather than grouping the knowledge and skills found within the Australian Curriculum into discipline-based subjects, or Key Learning Areas, these knowledge and skills have been grouped into six tailor-made courses, which will ensure that students are equipped for their future.
Each course will engage students in meaningful, purposeful and authentic learning experiences through which they will learn the traditional knowledge and skills of the Key Learning Areas contained in the Australian Curriculum. That is, the traditional subjects of English, Mathematics, Science, History and Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education, Technologies, The Arts and LOTE will be embedded across the six courses.
Courses are values-based, future-focused and each guided by a clear purpose that supports every learner to engage in a wide range of competencies, including disciplinary knowledge, skills and social-emotional development. They prepare our learners to be agile, embrace challenges, be enterprising and creative, and develop personal values such as character and resilience in order to lead healthy, satisfying lives (Melbourne Declaration on Educational Goals for Young People, 2008).
The Experience Stage aims to create a community of learners who:
- are agile thinkers, good at learning and good at life.
- are critical audiences who apply creative practices to capture, challenge and celebrate ideas, stories and perspectives.
- are empowered to take a strengths-based approach to their own, and others’ physical, social, emotional and mental health and wellbeing.
- are empathetic to human-environmental challenges and demonstrate the agency to safeguard sustainable outcomes for their future.
- are confident and critical communicators who make sense of themselves, others and the world through language.
- are curious about how past discoveries inform future inquiries, scientific experimentation and the application of emerging technologies.
All six courses are designed to be experienced concurrently. There are times when topics, learning experiences and tasks are meaningfully combined across courses to promote deep learning.
- Learners will be enrolled in all six courses throughout the Experience Stage, as well as Genius Hour and Sport / Community Service.
- Courses are each allocated 3 lessons per week, 70 minutes each lesson.
- Genius Hour and Sport / Community Service are allocated 1 lesson per week.
Please refer to the Course Aims and Sample Learning Experience (PDF, 101KB)
for further information.